Maze Runner star seriously injured in set accident

There's grim news from the set of the third movie in the Maze Runner series.

Dylan O'Brien, the 24-year-old star of the franchise, was injured on Thursday (March 17) on the British Columbia set of The Maze Runner: The Death Cure. Details remained sketchy over the weekend, but O'Brien was apparently involved in a mishap with some kind of moving vehicle.

Unconfirmed reports indicated that he had suffered severe injuries, with multiple broken bones, but O'Brien's rep told the Hollywood Reporter that she expected the actor to recover fully from his injuries.

A statement issued by the film's studio, 20th Century Fox, said:

"Dylan O'Brien was injured yesterday while filming Maze Runner: The Death Cure in Vancouver, Canada. He was immediately transferred to a local hospital for observation and treatment. Production on the film will be shut down while he recovers. Our thoughts go out to Dylan for a full and speedy recovery."

Both James Dashner, author of the novels, and Wes Ball, director of all three films, issued comments on Twitter, with Ball posting the following handwritten message:

"Well, it’s been a whirlwind of emotions these past dew days. I’ve been overwhelmed with feelings of anger and sadness and guilt. But, ultimately I find myself left with just a deep love and respect for Dylan. He is one tough cookie. I’m sorry for the grief this accident has caused his friends and family as well as my wonderful cast and crew. It’s scary seeing your friend get hurt, but fortunately, Dylan is going to be just fine. After a few weeks of rest and recovery he’ll be back up and running to finish our adventure together."

There's no word on when production on the film might resume. The movie, which concludes the trilogy began by 2014's The Maze Runner and last year's The Maze Runner: The Scorch Trials, is set for release on Feb. 17, 2017, unless O'Brien's injury pushes that date back. We wish him a speedy recovery.

(via Collider)



More from around the web