Fantastic Feasts: Zombie Virus Punch

Are you looking for a show-stopping way to kick your zombie-themed Halloween party up to the next level?  Want to impress your guests with a treat so easy to make but so mind-blowingly awesome to see that they'll swear it's a trick?

Hand your guests a few of these toxic green skulls and have them drop them into their beverages, and watch as the liquid erupts into a frothing bubbling green mass that looks deadly but tastes delicious!

Have a few on hand and enjoy infecting your beverages with this deliciously disgusting-looking zombie virus all night long!

For this recipe you'll need:

  • 1 Cup sugar
  • 1 Package Green Apple Kool-Aid Mix
  • 1 Tablespoon Citric Acid
  • 1 Tablespoon Baking Soda
  • Neon Green Food Coloring 

 

You will also need:

  • Mixing bowl
  • Silicone or chocolate mold in the shape of your choice
  • Spray bottle of water
  • Large flat spatula (optional)

 

Start by first mixing your dry ingredients together.  At this point, it should just be a dry, faintly green powder.

To give it a truly toxic glow, squirt in just enough green food dye to tint the mix without adding moisture to it.

Mix in the food dye thoroughly.  I've found that using my hands (washed and dried first, of course) is the fastest way to mix everything in.   

Once you have the dye mixed in, start slowly adding in water by spritzing your powder with your spray bottle, continuing to mix by hand with every spray.  The idea here is to just dampen the mixture enough that it clumps together.  DO NOT OVERWATER YOUR MIX.  Doing so will cause a chemical reaction between your citric acid, Kool-Aid and baking soda and you will end up with a fizzing mess.

 

Ideally, you'll want your mixture to clump together like sand when you squeeze it, but crumble easily when you rub it between your fingers.  

Once your mixture is just damp enough to hold together, it's time to fill your molds.

 

Scoop up your mixture and press it into your molds firmly.  

You want to pack each mold as tightly as possible. I've found that overfilling the molds and then using a flat spatula to really press it down helps ensure a tight, solid packed product.

Once you've filled your molds, allow them to dry in a warm dry space (like a closet or kitchen cabinet) for at least 24 hours.  

After 24 hours, you should be able to gently turn your mold over and pop out your fizzing skulls.  Allow them to dry out of the mold for an additional 6-12 hours before serving (you want them very dry.)

 

When it comes time to serve them, take 2-3 (depending on how strong you want your drink to taste) and drop them into your favorite beverage!  

 

They'll fizz up and dissolve right before your eyes, leaving you with a lightly carbonated drink with a sour kick and an impressed audience!

 

These can be dropped into any non-carbonated beverage ... both alcoholic and non.  

Enjoy, and happy haunting!

 

More from around the web