Fox was more than happy to talk up Channing Tatum’s X-Men spinoff Gambit at San Diego Comic-Con, and now we finally have a decent timeline for when we’ll get to see it.
The studio had already penciled in a late 2016 release date, and now word has broken that the film will start shooting in New Orleans this October. First up, it’s nice to see New Orleans seemingly locked in for the shooting site. The city is a massive part of the character’s identity, and for a place like New Orleans, it’s hard to emulate that vibe on a soundstage or back alleys of Canada.
The film's budget is estimated at just under $150 million, which is admittedly a bit high for an unproven spinoff character. But you'd have to imagine the studio is thinking Tatum + X-Men = Money, which admittedly makes some sense.
Some casting-call intel has also trickled out via Showbiz 411. The character list varies between 20-somethings and 40-somethings, with a kid or two thrown in for good measure. Obviously, some of the names could be fake, but it’s nice to get a feel for some of the supporting players. Check out the full breakdown below:
- Louis– Male, any ethnicity, 40s-50s. Elegant and intelligent. An appealing entrepreneur with an unexpected dark side.
- Vera– Female, any ethnicity, mid 20s – early 30s. Beautiful, smart, tough, fiery and unpredictable.
- Wes– Male, any ethnicity, mid 20s – mid 30s. Aspirational but weak minded. Soulful and sensitive.
- Fritz– Male, any ethnicity, 40s – 50s. A professional thief. Charismatic con-artist. Warm hearted but untrustworthy.
- Nash– Male, any ethnicity, mid 20s – early 30s. A potent threat. Heir to his mother’s business. Malevolent.
- Willhelm– Male, any ethnicity, 30s. Dangerous street criminal. Protective and loyal to his family. Intensely loyal and violent.
- Gary– Male, any ethnicity, mid 20s – early 30s. A little simple; dim-witted and passive.
- Nonna—Female, any ethnicity, mid 20s – 30 years old. Uptight, corporate, vicious, sexual.
- Joe– Male, any ethnicity, 30s. He’s a gun for hire. He is the black sheep of his family. Not from good breeding but from a working class family.
- Ben–Male, any ethnicity, 20s. Just reaching adulthood. A street kid, a disaffected outsider, an orphan.
- Boris–Male, Hispanic, 20s. Charming, handsome, and dangerous..
- Clarissa– Female, mixed race, 10 – 12 years old. Ethereal and other worldly. Very expressive.
- Wolfgang– Male, authentic French, 40s. A French criminal. Must speak fluent French.
- Howard– Male, Caucasian. 50s. A refined European mobster who speaks fluent French.
Gambit is set for release on Oct. 7, 2016 — so we should start seeing some set pics and other goodies by the end of the year.