Why J.J. Abrams is regretting his decision not to helm Star Wars: Episode VIII

The man responsible for the success of Star Wars: The Force Awakens -- which is currently blasting open every worldwide box-office record left and right in less than 12 parsecs -- director J.J. Abrams, is supposedly regretting his decision not to helm Episode VIII.

Why? Because the script is apparently pretty darn good.

The news doesn’t come directly from Abrams himself but from his BFF Greg Grunberg. The Heroes Reborn actor -- who’s appeared in some shape or form in every project Abrams has been a part of (including LOST) -- was seen in The Force Awakens as X-Wing pilot Snap Wexley.

According to Grunberg, Abrams is gutted by his decision to hand over the keys to the Millennium Falcon for the next Star Wars installment set a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away. Speaking to The Washington Post, Grunberg said:

“He read it and said something he never, ever says,” Grunberg, who plays pilot Snap Wexley in the new film, tells The Post’s Comic Riffs. “He said: ‘It’s so good, I wish I were making it.’

“He may have said something one time on ‘Lost,’ with Damon [Lindelof, the co-creator],” continues Grunberg, whose credits on Abrams series include “Lost” and “Felicity,” “but I never hear him express regret like that.”

Replacing Abrams in the director’s chair for Star Wars: Episode VIII is Rian Johnson, who's also written the movie screenplay, while Abrams remains on board as executive producer. Johnson has only helmed a handful of acclaimed projects so far, including Looper, a little sci-fi movie starring Bruce Willis, Emily Blunt and Joseph Gordon-Levitt, and three episodes of AMC's critically acclaimed series Breaking Bad.

Do you wish J.J. Abrams had stayed on to direct Star Wars: Episode VIII, or are you looking forward to seeing what Rian Johnson will do with the sequel to The Force Awakens?

Star Wars: Episode VIII will open in movie theaters on May 26, 2017.

(via The Washington Post)

More from around the web