And coming in at #1 on our ways we don't want to die is ...
Muldrow, Okla., resident Danny Vanzandt has, according to police reports, died of spontaneous combustion. The 65-year-old was, allegedly, a heavy smoker and drinker, and authorities are looking into the possibility that his habits could be responsible for his death. Homicide, however, has already been ruled out.
"The body was burned, and it was incinerated," says Sequoyah County Sheriff Ron Lockhart. "There is some burning, I guess, in the trachea, so the cause of death is gone be probably heat and smoke inhalation."
For those not in the know, spontaneous human combustion is not a thing that happens terribly often. There have only been approximately 200 cases worldwide over the course of the last 300 years. When the unlikelihood of such an event was pointed out to the county sheriff, he merely stated, "I'm not saying this happened. I'm just saying that we haven't ruled it out." Don't tell the good sheriff it was just from cigarettes, though -- he insists that "a cigarette burn will not do that."
But what do you think? Did Danny Vanzandt spontaneously combust, or is Sheriff Lockhart just really, really, REALLY bored?