Wait! Spielberg now says his Robopocalypse flick ISN'T dead?

Well, that didn't take long. Just a day after news broke that Steven Spielberg's big-budget sci-fi flick Robopocalypse had been shelved indefinitely, the director has clarified that the movie isn't actually dead. So what's up? He just had a better idea.

Based on Daniel H. Wilson's novel of the same name, the story follows a robot rebellion. Spielberg's take on the tale was supposed to star Chris Hemsworth (The Avengers) and Anne Hathaway (The Dark Knight Rises), with a tentative release date of April 25, 2014.

Spielberg's version was apparently put on the shelf because the script wasn't finished and the studio thought it would be too expensive to produce. So what's changed? Spielberg, always the thinker, apparently decided to put things on hold after he had a better idea of how to tell the story.

He clarified to Entertainment Weekly:

"We found that the film was costing a lot of money and I found a better way to tell the story more economically but also much more personally. I found the personal way into Robopocalypse, and so I just told everybody to go find other jobs, I'm starting on a new script and we'll have this movie back on its feet soon."
As tentative as this update is, it does sound like Spielberg is still committed to bringing the book to film. More than anything, we're really curious to see what fresh idea he's come up with to rework the script.

What do you think it is?

(Via Entertainment Weekly)

More from around the web