David E. Kelley's Wonder Woman TV show is ramping up toward production, but some key elements are still outstanding—namely, the actors. The casting sheet that the network sends to agents slipped out and reveals some interesting wrinkles about who they're looking for ... and who they aren't.
Looking at the full casting sheet for the Wonder Woman TV pilot, which we've posted below, a few things are clear:
1) While the sheet says that NBC, Warner Brothers and DC Entertainment are committed to diverse, inclusive casting, Wonder Woman/Diana Theymscira/Diana Prince needs to have long dark hair and blue eyes. The blue-eye thing would lead one to believe that they're looking for a Caucasian actress—but, then again, if the magic of contact lenses can give Edward James Olmos blue eyes for Battlestar Galactica, it can work on anyone. Still, I don't think Gina Torres is gonna get a call.
2) Mark my words: Etta Candy will be played by a brassy, sassy black actress.
3) There's no villain listed on the sheet. It could be that they want to get their good-guy house in order first, or that whatever baddie they choose for the pilot isn't going to be a recurring threat to Diana, but it's a little odd.
4) Diana is "a real woman yearning to live a normal life." Wow. Talk about a fundamental misunderstanding of who the character is. She's an Amazon, raised by Amazons. She's the finest warrior on an island that breeds the best of them. Her mission in life is to bring light to the world—not to be a sitcom-ready "lost girl in the big city." But whatever.
5) Production starts on March 15. So mark your calendars.
WONDER WOMAN Pilot SAG DC Entertainment / Warner Bros. Television/ NBC Draft: 12/16/10
Exec. Producers: David E. Kelley, Bill D'Elia
Casting Director: David Rapaport
Casting Associate: Lyndsey Baldasare
NY Casting Directors: Beth Bowling & Kim Miscia
NY Casting Assistant: Michael Rios
Start Date: March 15, 2011
Location: Los Angeles, CA
NO SCRIPT AVAILABLE
NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE
We are committed to diverse, inclusive casting. For every role, please submit qualified performers, without regard to disability, race, age, colour, national origin, ethnic origin or any other basis prohibited by law unless otherwise specifically indicated.
[WONDER WOMAN / DIANA THEMYSCIRA / DIANA PRINCE] Female, late 20s to 30s. A kick-ass Superhero / Powerful C.E.O. / A vulnerable woman. Long flowing black hair, blue eyes. Amazon-like, muscular, an Olympian. The charismatic stage presence of a rock star. A crime fighter. Also, a real woman who yearns to live a normal life. She is accessible and appealing to all people, men and women alike...SERIES LEAD. ASP.
[MYNDI MAYER] Female, open ethnicity, 30s. Publicist, Press Secretary and Wonder Woman's confidant and nurturing best friend. Worldy and edgy. Sexy and persuasive, her appearance is part of her strength. She is beautiful and put together - dressed expensively in the latest fashions, plus she's got a bit of bite, clever wit and sass. She's the prodder of Diana's social life...SERIES REGULAR. ASP.
[ETTA] Female, open ethnicity, 30s. Diana Themyscira's always cheerful personal assistant. A bit charactery, but real, pretty and effervescent. She is blindly devoted to Diana. She's her unrelenting cheerleader, with unwavering, unabated support. On the vulnerable side, she sees the humble and sympathetic sides in everyone, including Diana...SERIES REGULAR. ASP.
[CEO HENRY DEMETER] Male, open ethnicity, 40s. Acting CEO of Themyscira Industries. Grounded, intelligent and deeply devoted to Diana. He runs the day to day operations of the company and acts like an Uncle to Diana although he could be a possible love interest down the line...SERIES REGULAR. ASP.
[STEVE TREVOR] Male, open ethnicity, 30s. A leading man Diana can't look past. Good looking but a real man. An Army vet, he now works in the Justice dept...SERIES REGULAR, ASP.
[ED INDELICATO] Male, late 30s to early 40s. Stoic and tough, he is a liaison to the police department. Devoted and loyal to Diana, he's blue collar, a no nonsense kind of guy. A chiseled man who subscribes to the old fashion rules of relationships - men don't talk much. His job comes first and he wouldn't make room for the possibility that there is potential romantic relationship with Diana...SERIES REGULAR, 10/13.