Why everything you've heard about Ghostbusters 3 is WRONG

You know all those rumors about what's going on with Ghostbusters 3? Forget them. They're all wrong. Who says so? The director.

Cinemablend spoke on Friday with director/producer Ivan Reitman, the man behind the first two Ghostbusters films, who told the website, "Virtually everything you've read on the Internet (about Ghostbusters 3) is not accurate." Addressing reports that the movie was slated to begin production in May, Reitman revealed that a cast still had yet to be locked down, although he added that the production has "some actors who seem to be interested in doing it, a ton of interest in the film."

Who are those actors? Reitman didn't say. Apparently a complete first-draft script by Lee Eisenberg and Gene Stupnitsky was only just finished a month ago, and Reitman did acknowledge that a copy of the script had been sent to Bill Murray for his opinion. A lot, perhaps the film itself, hinges on whether Murray gets involved.

If you believe the rumors, Murray has been the one holding up the works, with Reitman, Dan Aykroyd, Harold Ramis and Ernie Hudson all raring to go on the project. Newer comedy names like Anna Faris and Bill Hader have also been mentioned in connection with the project. But while there is some movement on Ghostbusters 3, take everything you hear from this point on with a grain of salt, unless it comes out of Ivan Reitman's mouth.

More from around the web