Oh, Japanese Dude, why does everyone on this damn island who actually knows something have to talk in riddles? That may not have made our list of questions below, but it's heavy on our minds every time any of the Losties has to talk to the guy (whose name is Dogen) or any other Other. (It's questions and answers, so spoilers ahead, dudes!)
All in all, while Tuesday's episode, "What Kate Does," moved the plot along and left us with 15 more new questions, the episode answered very few questions from previous episodes.
"What Kate Does" was a sequel of sorts to the second season's "What Kate Did." The big Kate-centric episode had both Lostie Kate and Alt Kate (Kate from the alternate universe) running around for different reasons, but with a central Claire theme. In the Lostverse, Sayid magically was mostly healed, but the Temple Others tortured him and decided he was "infected" and "claimed." They tried to convince Jack to give him a pill they said was "medicine," but Jack found out it was actually poison. Meanwhile, Sawyer grabbed a gun and took off, which left Kate and Jin (and a couple Others) to go after him. And in the Altverse, Kate and Claire ended up bonding when Little-Mommy Claire looked so lost that even Fugitive-on-the-Run Kate had to stop running and help her.
Each week we'll scour the new episodes for answers to our 100-plus questions below and post those along with the NEW questions each episode poses. If a question below is boldface, it was answered in the latest episode. If a question is italic, it was answered in an earlier episode. This is the second of our weekly stories, and we'll fill in the answers as they come up each week throughout the Lost season.
NEW QUESTIONS FROM THIS WEEK'S "WHAT KATE DOES" EPISODE:
134. Why do the Temple Others have to torture Sayid to "diagnose," him and why do they think he's been "infected" and "claimed"?
135. Did the Smoke Monster infect Sayid when he was shot, kind of like an Evil Dead sort of thing?
136. Does this mean that the Man In Black actually orchestrated Sayid's "infected" resurrection by posing as Jacob and asking Hurley to take Sayid to the Temple save his life?
137. Why do the Temple Others agree to let Kate and Jin go after Sawyer and insist "It's very important he get back safely"? Why do they care?
138. Why does the one Temple Other escorting Kate and Jin keep telling the other Other Justin to "Shut up!" when he's about to answer the Losties' questions?
139. Where did the Ajira plane land or crash, what's the significance of the plane, and why are the Temple Others being so secretive about it?
140. And a non-episode-specific question ... With a tag line like "Destiny Calls," are you ready to book a flight on Ajira Airlines through their Web site?
141. Why does Sayid have to take the poison pill willingly from Jack, rather than the Temple Others just shooting him dead?
142. If Sayid is "claimed" and the infection reaches his heart, does that mean he'll go all Exorcist on us?
143. Will Losties Kate and Claire hook up so that Kate can take her "back to Aaron"?
144. In the Altverse, does it mean anything that Lostverse dead folks such as Arzt and Ethan keep popping up, or are the Lost producers just messing with our minds?
145. Where will Alt Kate head next?
146. What does Japanese Dude Dogen mean when he tells Jack that being claimed and going evil "happened to your sister"? We presume he's referring to Claire, who disappeared but shows up briefly at the end of the episode "What Kate Does" wielding a rifle and looking badass.
147. What happened to Lostie Claire while she was missing, and how did she end up looking so Rousseau-esque?
148. Did the Smoke Monster do that to her hair?
ANSWERS TO THE QUESTIONS WE'VE ALREADY RAISED
1. Who is Jacob? Apparently he's a ghost now, along with possibly being God. Maybe. ("LA X")
2. Is he good or is he evil? The jury is still out, but he certainly seems gooder than Smokey Locke, who we're now calling the Locke-ness Monster. ("LA X")
3. How old is Jacob? Pretty old, since he seemed to be around when the Black Rock was sailing. ("The Incident")
4. What's up with the Man In Black (MiB)? The theories that he was actually the Smoke Monster were right, and we found that out in very dramatic fashion when New Locke (aka the Locke-ness Monster) transformed into the Monster and smoked Jacob's Bodyguards under the four-toed statue. However, we also discovered that what he really wants is to "go home." ("LA X")
5. Why does he need a loophole, and which one did he find? We're thinking the loophole might be that Smokey couldn't harm Jacob himself and needed to take a deceased human's form to do the deed. ("The Incident")
6. Why does the MiB hate Jacob?
7. Is Jacob really dead? Yes, but apparently he's still a factor in this chess match, since he appeared to Hurley and told him he/Jacob was actually dead and to take Sayid to the Temple to save his life. ("LA X") However, was it really Jacob that had that conversation with Hurley after all? Maybe dead really is dead. ("What Kate Does")
8. Is Locke dead? Our Locke is alive in the new Altverse. However, he's dead in the old Lostverse, according to the Locke-ness Monster. In fact, he filled Ben in on all the details of what Locke was thinking as he was dying when Ben strangled him. Nice touch, that one. ("LA X")
9. Is Juliet dead? The blast didn't kill her, but she did die trying to tell Sawyer that "It worked." (As in setting of the bomb, dudes!) But we're guessing she'll show up somewhere in the Altverse as well. ("LA X")
10. Did Jughead really blow up when the screen turned to white? Yes. ("LA X")
11. Why would the other survivors follow Jack's crackpot plan to reset the present?
12. Seriously, who says yes to blowing up the island to restart time anyway? And aren't all the surviving Lostverse Survivors just kicking themselves now 'cause things have so not gone well for them since the big blast? ("LA X")
13. Did time reset and keep the Oceanic 815 from crashing? Yes, but not without changes and at least one alternate universe. Apparently the island is under the water in the Altverse. And yet the surviving Lostverse Survivors and Others are running around dealing with the fallout of the bomb explosion (or possibly non-explosion in that 'verse) and the Locke-ness Monster's newfound vengeful power. ("LA X")
14. Will Juliet and Sawyer find each other again if it did? Yep, but she died (sniff) trying to tell him "It worked." ("LA X")
15. Will Kate and Jack finally get their act together and find true love?
16. What kind of damage would an explosion from a hydrogen bomb create? Apparently it threw the surviving Survivors into an alternate past we're calling the Altverse. ("LA X")
17. And what the heck does any of this have to do with the survivors?
18. What's the deal with the four-toed statue?
19. If it was really a statue of the Egyptian goddess Taweret, why was it built?
20. Who broke it?
21. Why did Jacob live beneath it?
22. What happened to Ben's friend Annie?
23. Why does Dr. Pierre Chang use aliases?
24. What's the Smoke Monster? It appears the Smoke Monster is going to become the Big Bad of the season. The morphing monster seems to be some sort of evil force that can apparently take any form, such as Dead Locke, and possibly posing as Alex, when she told Ben to do whatever Locke says. In fact, we're guessing there's more to come when we find out how much this Big Bad has been messing with everyone since the beginning. And one more thing ... as the Locke-ness Monster tells Ben, he's not a "What." He's a "Who." And we discovered that he "wants to go home." ("LA X")
25. Why does Smokey have a taste for some people and not others?
26. What's up with the ash around Jacob's cabin? One of the Others used the ash (which may be something other than ash) to try to protect himself by pouring a circle of the stuff around himself when Smokey went ballistic and smoked the gun-toting Others under the four-toed statue. We also saw the stuff being poured at the Temple when those Others freaked after finding out Jacob was dead (which likely means they knew their protection against Smokey was gone). We're guessing this is going to be important in battling the Big Bad this season, since guns aren't going to work against him. ("LA X")
27. Who broke the ash circle, and what does that mean? Don't know who, but we're thinking it's bad. ("LA X")
28. How was the cabin able to change locations?
29. Why did Jacob stop using the cabin? This likely had something to do with the ash circle being broken. ("LA X")
30. Why did the Oceanic Six have to go back?
31. Why did Miles decide to stay on the island?
32. What's up with the blast door map?
33. What happened to Claire? Alt Claire ended up in a cab being kidnapped by an escaping Kate. ("LA X") However, Kate kicked her out of the cab and then went back for her after she realized Claire was a pregenant mommy and Kate felt guilty stealing her stuff. Then they bonded when Claire discovered that the baby's new adoptive parents were a bust and she began having labor pains. In the Lostverse, Claire saved Jin from two Temple Others who were about to kill him. And man, she looked like she'd been living in the woods since she went missing last season. ("What Kate Does")
34. Why did psychic Richard Malkin insist Claire raise Aaron?
35. What's up with Claire's implant?
36. Who is Richard Alpert really, and why doesn't he age? According to the Locke-ness Monster, Richard was in chains at some point, but we still don't know whose prisoner he was. ("LA X")
37. How or why does the island heal people?
38. What's going on with the pregnancies?
39. What's the deal with Christian?
40. Why doesn't he just go off and be dead and leave Jack alone?
41. Who are Adam and Eve, the skeletons found in the caves?
42. What did the black and white stones on their bodies mean?
43. Why did DHARMA and the Others allow Rousseau's distress signal to continue to be transmitted?
44. Are Hurley's numbers really cursed? When the bomb went off it must have lifted the curse in the Altverse, considering Hurley says he's the "luckiest man alive." No word yet on how cursed Hurley is in the Lostverse. ("LA X")
45. Why is Walt special?
46. Why did Walt warn Locke not to open the hatch?
47. What happened to Walt in Room 23?
48. Why did Walt appear to other survivors dripping wet?
49. Why'd they kill off Charlie? We liked Charlie!
50. Will Charlie be back? He's back! In the Altverse, Charlie was saved by Jack after nearly choking to death on the plane. ("LA X")
51. What's up with Libby?
52. Why was she a patient at Santa Rosa?
53. Why did she end up in Australia and on board Flight 815?
54. How much did it suck that Libby was killed before Hurley could get lucky?
55. Where does the donkey wheel come from?
56. How does it work?
57. How did Desmond get his clothes blown off after the hatch implosion?
58. How did Locke and Eko escape?
59. How did Penelope know to look for a magnetic anomaly?
60. Why is Ben so weird?
61. Who's on Jacob's list, why does Jacob have a list, and what does it all mean?
62. Why did Jacob diss Ben by not communicating with him while he was leader?
63. What's up with the Temple? Apparently the Temple's waters healed Ben as a child and, as we saw in the Lostverse, it saved Sayid, who came back to life at the end of "LA X" even though the waters had turned dark. There are also a gaggle of Others living there who are freaked out by the news that Jacob is dead and started fortifying the Temple. ("LA X") And perhaps Sayid was actually saved by the dark side now that he's "infected" and "claimed," according to Japanese Dude Dogen. ("What Kate Did")
64. Why does Ben say that the Temple is for Others only?
65. Does the Monster have a connection with the Temple? Yes, considering everyone's reaction at the Temple when they learn that Jacob is dead. ("LA X")
66. Was the ship that Jacob and the Man in Black see sailing in "The Incident" the Black Rock?
67. How did the ship end up in the middle of the jungle?
68. What happened to the crew?
69. Why is the ship's log important to Charles Widmore?
70. What are Widmore's plans for the island?
71. Who built the Lamp Post?
72. How did Eloise become the caretaker of the station?
73. Does Widmore know about it?
74. What's up with Charles Widmore, anyway?
75. Does he suck as a dad, or what?
76. What happened to the people the Others kidnapped? Apparently some of them became Others as well, like the former flight attendant Cindy. ("LA X" and past episodes)
77. What's up with the whispers?
78. Who's whispering?
79. Why did Jacob go touch each of the survivors?
80. Why were these survivors chosen?
81. Why didn't Jacob try to protect himself when Ben stabbed him? The Locke-ness Monster told Ben that Jacob knew he was beaten, but we think there's more to it than that. ("LA X")
82. What is Ilana's connection to Jacob?
83. What favor did he ask of her?
84. Why did she order the cabin to be burned?
85. How much does she really know about the island?
86. What is Frank a candidate for?
87. Why did the supply drops continue after the Purge?
88. How do they find the island to make those drops?
89. Who is Henry Gale really, and how did he break his neck?
90. Who buried him?
91. Why isn't the island done with Desmond yet?
92. Who did the glass eye belong to, and why was it left in the Arrow?
93. What's up with the trouble between Eloise Hawking and Charles Widmore?
94. How did the feud start between Ben and Widmore?
95. What are the Rules?
96. How did the death of Alex change those Rules?
97. Why did Ben strangle Locke when he mentioned Eloise Hawking?
98. When Jacob says, "They're coming," just before he dies, who are "they"?
99. What's up with the guitar case Jacob gave Hurley? It had a large wooden ankh in it that Janpanese Dude Dogen broke open to reveal a paper that apparently contains the names of the Survivors, which kept the Temple Others from shooting them. ("LA X")
100. What's up with the dog?
101. When Jacob and the MiB were talking on the beach, what did Jacob mean by "It only ends once. Anything that happens before that... is just progress"?
102. Why does Richard Alpert use eyeliner?
103. Is the island a flying saucer or Atlantis, as some commenters propose?
104. Why didn't Sun and the others travel back in time with Kate, Jack, Sayid and Hurley?
105. How did Ben get back on the island when Widmore couldn't?
106. Will Sun and Jin ever get a chance to live happily ever after?
107. Will any of the survivors get a chance to live happily ever after?
108. Will the Smoke Monster get a chance to live happily ever after? We hope not. ("LA X")
109. Will we be satisfied with the way Lost ends?
110. Now that everyone is in the same time, are there two alternate universes? Yes, but we're also in different times as well, since the Altverse is taking place in the past and the Lostverse appears to be taking place nowish. ("LA X," "What Kate Does")
111. What's that about?
112. How did the Altverse island end up under water?
113. What happened with the explosion, and how did Jack's group get blown into the present day but after the hatch exploded?
114. When Miles does his psychic thing in the Lostverse and tells Sawyer that Dead Juliet was trying to tell him "It worked," how did she know it worked?
115. Why was Juliette talking about getting coffee before she died?
116. In the Altverse, why did things change on Flight 815 for some of the passengers, like Hurley being lucky instead of cursed?
117. Why was Desmond on the flight, and where did he vanish to?
118. Why did Charlie "plan" to die?
119. When it comes to the Altverse, what's up with the bag full of money Jin is trying to sneak into the country?
120. Why do the Temple Others freak when they learn Jacob's is dead?
121. Are the Locke-ness Monster and his Smoke Monster alter-ego badass, or what? We'll just say a big "yes" to that one. ("LA X")
122. Why does Ghost Jacob want Hurley to save Sayid? And is it Ghost Jacob, or perhaps the Trickster Smoke Monster? ("What Kate Does")
123. Where's Jack's dad's coffin in the Altverse?
124. Will Alt Jack be able to fix Locke's spine so he can walk again?
125. Will Alt Kate escape? She escapes for now, but ends up helping a pregnant Claire. ("What Kate Does")
126. Will Claire have her baby in LA?
127. Will she give him up for adoption?
128. The Locke-ness Monster tells Ben, "I'm not a What. I'm a Who." Who is he?
129. Where is the "home" the Locke-ness Monster wants to go to?
130. What did the Locke-ness Monster mean when he told Richard Alpert it was good to see him out of "those chains"?
131. Why did the Locke-ness Monster knock out Richard Alpert and kidnap him?
132. Why was the Locke-ness Monster "disappointed" in everyone on the beach?
133. How was Sayid resurrected after even the Others thought he was dead, and what does that mean for him? Well, Sayid told Hurley he wasn't a zombie. Beyond that we know his wound is almost healed and the Temple Others "tested" him (as in tortured) to find out if he was infected and claimed (just like Jack's sister was). Do we have that all cleared up now? ("What Kate Does")
What Lost questions, answers and theories do you have?